Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 418 Stroker conversion to SEFI/EDIS...

418 Stroker conversion to SEFI/EDIS...

Been collecting parts for quite a while for this jump into technology from the middle of last century... specifically I'm diving into '89-93 mass air tech...

I'll post up some pics of what I'm doing but a lot of what I'll try to do is explain why stock engine$ and $tock $EFI upgrades are really the way to go because there are only a few stock parts that will work on this upgrade. Everything else to do it right takes a lot of research so you get optimum results for your conversion...that's where I'm trying to go! (I love the details)

My #1 goal is dependability and my #2 goal is sustainability...in other words in following my 20 year plan for everything I want to be able to use what I've got for another 20+ years. I ran Holley Pro-jection back in the early '90's on my Bronco. Ran great, but after several years i needed a part and when talking to Holley about it they said support would be non-existent in a couple more years...I freaked out, sold it and never looked back. #3 goal is maximum power for the buck

Anyway, hope this explains some why I chose this route.

418 stroker causes a lot of problems when going SEFI compared to a 5.0 or 5.8 that is relatively stock.

breakfast is over, more later...
    Last edited by nvrstuk; 12-11-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    Strrroker powered... BSC built 418 cubes, Mahle, Scat, TrickFlow, 518 HP- "burping the throttle" is a whole new experience... 24 forward gears

Can't wait to watch this journey! ;)
    '73 Sport, 351W EFI, ZF 5spd, Twin Stick D20, D44, BB 9", Detroits f&r

'97 F250, 7.3L PSD, ZF 5spd, CC, SB, 4" AFE intake, 3" dp, 4" straight pipe, PMF RSK, SD springs, 3.73 gears, D60 swap with ARB, 10.25ls rear, Glowshift Gauges and PHP tunes!

Knowledge intake on this is fun! ... buying the parts? .... not so much... lol
    Strrroker powered... BSC built 418 cubes, Mahle, Scat, TrickFlow, 518 HP- "burping the throttle" is a whole new experience... 24 forward gears

Jr. Member Got Skills
    I've been wanting to do something similar. What kind of power are you aiming for?

Looking for as flat a torque/hp curve as I can get with a minimum of 500ft lbs of torque at 3400 rpm. My cam builder says it's easy at that rpm with what he built. Key for the curve is the stuff I've been accumulating... Everything I'm getting will supply enough fuel and air for well over 700hp...600 is my ultimate goal- not sure if I'll get there but... The heads and internals of the engine will supply that without any difficulty, that was designed/built in 4 yrs ago. Easy with a small blower...

I tried mounting the Holley Throttle Body facing the front first, then realized it's not designed to mount on HEI style distributor caps... ;)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150616_145553.jpg   20150619_195627.jpg  
    Last edited by nvrstuk; 07-09-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Posted a couple pics...moving AIR and lots of it fast is the key... Head choice and cam design is designed to produce max power at 5,000 rpm...

I'll post pics of all the obstacles, no fits, wrong parts first... lol

First off, please excuse my lack of education, and knowledge on the subject. I have some questions. What is the "S" in SEFI? Are you trying to get your system built on the cheep by doing it by way of collecting pieces and parts here and there, Vs. buying a kit that some company sells? Is there even a kit that you can buy that is what you are parting together? I run into both scenarios with different things that I want most of the time. So I do some things by just buying the pre-assembled kit and save money and time. To me it seems like it anyway. Other times there are kits out there but they are not quite, or not at all what I'm looking for so I have to search for the parts, and that takes more time and usually cost more in the long run. Just wondering about you, not working can lead to too much time on your hands, and in turn can lead to going CRAZY.
    Body panels are best when buckled and bent.

Rick,
    The "S" stands for sequential
    "I was put on this earth to accomplish so many things, right now I'm so far behind I'll never die"

72 351W SEFI w/matching 1/2 scale mini bronco
    76 uncut (wife's)___4x4 Ford Van w/a 460
    1/4 scale barstool bronco___many other Bronco projects
    1/3 scale granddaughters bronco _Bronco Camper

Ok, I looked it up. That is basicly a muli port fuel injection system. People sell those.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rick View Post
    Ok, I looked it up. That is basicly a muli port fuel injection system. People sell those.

Why would you want to put fuel injection on an engine with no oil pressure? ;)
    '68 351w, 5spd, 5 1/2 bcb coils, 5 1/2 wh leafs, D44, mini spool, disks, 4.10, mini spool rear, 36" Iroks.
    '77 uncut mostly original

I've opted for SEFI because I want the intake to be dry, no fuel in it. We don't ice up often when snow wheeling but it happens. Also, for several reasons I wanted the benefits of multi-port sequential injection that timing can/will be adjusted as I drive. No once piece kit for what I'm doing with this set-up.

I was looking for a used Holley system but since I couldn't find one or justify the price of TBI and how it compares with SEFI, I changed my mind at the Portland Swap Meet and went with this plan. The Holley computer when/if it dies is over $1,000 to replace...ouch! IF you can still get it in 20 years, hence my original selling of the soon to be unsupported Holley ProJection unit which was a TBI and worked remarkably well...and this was in the early '90's. I still packed a carb when I went up North.

Get the nasty stuff done.first! I have NTK narrow band O2 sensors bungs welded in on each side. Wide band is already in..has been for a while.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150704_144713.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Muzzall View Post
    Why would you want to put fuel injection on an engine with no oil pressure? ;)
    Ok for the record it's not none, when you say, "no oil pressure" it seems like you are saying none. So to set you straight, my motor has "just barely some" oil pressure. when I first start the engine when it's cold it has got 20 PSI, and once it is at operating temp,, and freeway speed it has enough to lift the needle off of the post, which is 5 PSI.

So that is just barely some oil pressure, very close to no oil pressure, but still some. still not enough to have a SEFI system?

Grumpy Slot King GURU 65Corvette's Avatar
    Ok for the record it's not none, when you say, "no oil pressure" it seems like you are saying none. So to set you straight, my motor has "just barely some" oil pressure. when I first start the engine when it's cold it has got 20 PSI, and once it is at operating temp,, and freeway speed it has enough to lift the needle off of the post, which is 5 PSI.

So that is just barely some oil pressure, very close to no oil pressure, but still some. still not enough to have a SEFI system?
    Actually, that would an ideal candidate for Fuel Injection... That way when you're upside down, the engine wouldn't know the difference... actually it might help to be upside down, as then the oil would splashing around in the engine instead of hiding in the oil pan sump.....
    66 tub on a 72 frame, tweaked C4, semi-healthy 351W (gotta have 350 cubic inches or more) ...Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall..Torque is how far you take the wall with you!

Humm, you have a point with that one. does this make me a thread jacker?

Humm, you have a point with that one. does this make me a thread jacker?
    Yup, about two days ago.... lol

Cesars of Cesar GURU Monster Mike's Avatar
    Subscrrrrrribed ;)
    Lead R&D and Weldor/Fabricator at James Duff Inc. monstermike@jamesduff.com call us from 10-6 EST At 865-938-6696
    Monster garage bronco version 2.0 Check out my build thread here http://northwestclassicbroncos.com/s...ild-thread-2-0

Yeah, I need to post some pics of stuff that doesn't fit and why...it's starting to come together on my bench, hope that counts! Stuff like today, after having to order it twice, (long story) I get the BC EFI throttle cable assbly with bracket that I've been waiting for now for 2 weeks and of course the bracket won't fit because it's designed for a 60 or 65 mm TB. So my TB is bigger and of course there is less room for the bracket to mount on it so I'll have to weld it all up, redrill the hole, move the tab that keeps it from moving vertically, tack weld their extension on to the throttle plate instead of bolting it on due to clearance issues and then it should miss the fuel rail by appr. .050"...

hmmm, let's see, so far the cable m i g h t fit!! lol Be just as easy to build my own now that I've bought one that won't fit! I'll let Jasen know so he can mention that to fit "non-stock" applications some modifications might be necessary ! ha

TIGHT....! I think im going to rotate the upper 180 degrees so the intake is to the drivers side. This allows several things..i can use my stock plenum gasket, stock dual rail- fuel rails and my stock throttle cable. This is nice because the BC broncos throttle setup wont work unless I build my own bracket...and thick plenum gaskets are close to 80 bucks!
    now I need the dual fuel rail setup with the regulator on the drivers side, not the pass side which is what i just picked up from dclack last week!!! :) Darrin is saving the other one for me too! Thanks!

BTW, rotate the pic 90 degrees clockwise... it was oriented properly until it posted off my phone...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20150707_180734.jpg  
    Last edited by nvrstuk; 07-08-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Is there going to be a spacer between the upper and lower intakes?

Any chance someone is headed between Tri-Cities and Ellensburg/Yakima anytime soon?
    '73 Sport, 351W EFI, ZF 5spd, Twin Stick D20, D44, BB 9", Detroits f&r

'97 F250, 7.3L PSD, ZF 5spd, CC, SB, 4" AFE intake, 3" dp, 4" straight pipe, PMF RSK, SD springs, 3.73 gears, D60 swap with ARB, 10.25ls rear, Glowshift Gauges and PHP tunes!